VANCOUVER, BC—Twenty-one organizations from across Canada have been recognized as the best-managed non-profit social service agencies nationwide and are in the running for $60,000 in prize money as finalists for the 15th annual Donner Canadian Foundation Awards for Excellence in the Delivery of Social Services.
"These organizations are leading the nation in terms of non-profit management. Despite limited budgets and resources, the work they do enriches our communities and makes a real difference in people’s lives," said Niels Veldhuis, Fraser Institute president.
"Every year, the Donner Awards are proud to celebrate outstanding non-profit social service agencies and to educate Canadians about the indispensable contributions these groups make to individuals and society," said Melissa Holoday, manager of the Donner Canadian Foundation Awards.
The Donner Awards are Canada’s largest recognition program for non-profit social service agencies, established in 1998 to recognize and encourage best practices in non-profit management and increase public confidence and support for Canada’s non-profit sector. The awards, administered by the Fraser Institute on behalf of the Donner Canadian Foundation, will be presented in the fall at a celebration in Toronto. Additional information is available at www.donnerawards.org.
This year, 554 non-profit social service agencies from across Canada applied for the awards. Participating organizations are ranked on their performance in 10 key areas, including management and governance, the use of staff and volunteers, innovation, program costs, and outcome monitoring.
The top organization in each of seven categories of social service delivery will be awarded $5,000, while the $20,000 William H. Donner Award for Excellence will be presented to the highest performer overall.
In addition, the $5,000 Peter F. Drucker Award for Non-Profit Management will be presented to a non-profit organization with a consistent record of excellence and innovation in the management and delivery of services.
2012 Donner Awards Finalists (by category)
Counselling / Crisis Intervention
- Calgary Pregnancy Care Centre (Calgary, AB)
- Crisis Intervention & Suicide Prevention Centre of BC (Vancouver, BC)
- Rose of Durham Young Parents Support Services (Oshawa, ON)
- The Air Cadet League of Canada (NB) Inc. (Saint John, NB)
- Elephant Thoughts (Vancouver, BC)
- Saskatchewan 4-H Council (Saskatoon, SK)
Prevention and Treatment of Substance Abuse
- Fresh Start Recovery Centre (Calgary, AB)
- Servants Anonymous Society Surrey (Surrey, BC)
- Simon House Residence Society (Calgary, AB)
Provision of Basic Necessities
- Alice Housing (Dartmouth, NS)
- Inner City Home of Sudbury (Sudbury, ON)
- Royal Canadian Legion Greater Edmonton Poppy Fund (Edmonton, AB)
Services for Children
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of North Simcoe (Midland, ON)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Quesnel (Quesnel, BC)
- Educational Program Innovations Charity Society (North Sydney, NS)
Services for People with Disabilities
- Les Aînés de Jonquière (Jonquière, QC)
- Community Living Campbellford/Brighton (Campbellford, ON)
- Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada – Calgary and Area Chapter (Calgary, AB)
Services for Seniors
- Community and Primary Health Care – Lanark, Leeds and Grenville (Brockville, ON)
- Eganville and District Seniors (Eganville, ON)
- North Shore Volunteers for Seniors (West Vancouver, BC)