Strong Parental Support for Standardized Testing across Canada
— Publié le 27, January, 2022
- 95% of Canadian parents of K-12 children believe it is important to know their child’s academic performance in the core subjects by a fair and objective measure.
- 72% of Canadian parents express strong support for fair and objective student assessment.
- Support for fair and objective measurement of students’ academic proficiency was highest in British Columbia and Ontario.
- Only 1% of Canadian parents believe it is not at all important to know their child’s academic performance in the core subjects by a fair and objective measure.
- 84% of Canadian parents surveyed support standardized testing so they will understand how their children are doing in the core subjects of reading, writing, and mathematics.
- Support for standardized testing was highest in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, and Atlantic Canada.
- In every province or region of Canada, the largest share of parents of K-12 children strongly support standardized testing.
- Immigrant parents expressed the strongest levels of support for both standardized testing, and the fair and objective measurement of students’ academic success.