Fraser Institute ranked 14th best think tank in the world; recognized as an international Centre of Excellence
The Fraser Institute ranks 14th best think tank worldwide out of more than 11,000 organizations, according to the University of Pennsylvania’s annual Global Go To Think Tank Index that was released last week.
Notably, the Institute was also named a Centre of Excellence, placing it among an elite group of institutions that are recognized for their sustained commitment to quality and excellence in public policy research.
“Our ranking as one of the best think tanks in the world and, in addition, being acknowledged as a Centre of Excellence is a testament to the dedication and commitment of our diverse team across Canada and the United States,” said Niels Veldhuis, Fraser Institute president.
“What makes our organization unique is our ability to disseminate our research to millions of Canadians each year, and we are therefore particularly proud to rank in the top ten worldwide for our digital communications, including 5th for best use of social media and 7th for best use of the internet.”
In addition to these rankings, the Fraser Institute also ranks:
- 2nd in the world for social policy research;
- 6th in the world for health policy research;
- 11th for best use of external relations and public engagement;
- 15th for most innovative policy ideas; and,
- 16th for best think tank network.
While the Fraser Institute plays a critical role within Canada, it also leads a global network of more than 120 independent think-tanks from 95 nations and territories through its Economic Freedom Network. Seven other members of that network ranked among the top 100 think-tanks in the world in this year’s index, including:
- Cato Institute (United States), 27th;
- Center for China and Globalization (China), 64th;
- Institute of Economic Affairs (United Kingdom), 66th;
- Libertad y Desarollo (Chile), 70th;
- Centre for Civil Society (India), 83rd;
- Association for Liberal Thinking (Turkey), 90th;
- Timbro (Sweden), 93rd; and
- Centro de Divulgacion del Conocimiento Economico para la Libertad (Venezuela) 99th
“The Fraser Institute supports the efforts of think tanks around the world in providing empirical research to educate citizens and contribute to fact-based debates on public policies,” Veldhuis said.
“In particular, we would like to recognize the efforts of some of our international partners for doing so well in this year’s ranking.”
More from this study
Subscribe to the Fraser Institute
Get the latest news from the Fraser Institute on the latest research studies, news and events.