Generosity in Canada: The 2022 Generosity Index
— Published on December 15, 2022
- Manitoba had the highest percentage of tax filers that donated to charity among the provinces (20.6%) during the 2020 tax year while Newfoundland & Labrador had the lowest (16.0%).
- Manitoba also donated the highest percentage of its aggregate income to charity among the provinces (0.73%) while Quebec donated the lowest (0.24%).
- Nationally, the percentage of Canadian tax filers donating to charity has fallen over the last decade from 23.4% in 2010 to 19.1% in 2020.
- The percentage of aggregate income donated to charity by Canadian tax filers has also decreased from 0.60% in 2010 to 0.49% in 2020.
- This decline in generosity in Canada undoubtedly limits the ability of Canadian charities to improve the quality of life in their communities and beyond.
More from this study
Subscribe to the Fraser Institute
Get the latest news from the Fraser Institute on the latest research studies, news and events.