– President, Visio Institute
Tanja Porčnik is an adjunct scholar at the Cato Institute. Porčnik is president and co-founder of the Visio Institute, a think tank in Slovenia, and co-author of The Human Freedom Index.
She was formerly a senior fellow at the Atlas Economic Research Foundation, a Government Teaching Fellow at Georgetown University (through The Fund for American Studies) and a Research Associate & Manager of External Relations at the Cato Institute. Her articles and opinion pieces on trade policy, international relations, and human rights appear regularly in printed media, and she is a frequent commentator on television and radio.
Porčnik received her bachelor’s degree in applied economics from the University of Maribor and her master’s degree in American political thought from the University of Ljubljana.
Recent Research by Tanja Porčnik
- Read the Full Publication
- Chapter 1 - Why Do We Measure Freedom?
- Chapter 2 - Human Freedom from Pericles to Measurement
- Chapter 3 - An Index of Freedom in the World
- Chapter 4 - Measuring Individual Freedom: Actions and Rights as Indicators of Individual Liberty
- Chapter 5 - A Compact Statement of a Cost-based Theory of Rights and Freedom
- Chapter 6 - Conditions for Freedom
- Chapter 7 - Evolution and Freedom
- Chapter 8 - Liberty in Comparative Perspective
- Chapter 9 - The Evisceration of Liberty in Canadian Courts
- Chapter 10 - From Fighting the Drug War to Protecting the Right to Use Drugs