Student Essay Contest
Join the conversation, showcase your ideas on public policy, and enter our essay contest for the chance to win the grand cash prize! Winning essays may be published in Fraser Institute journals and authors will have the opportunity to experience the peer review process.
2023 Essay Contest - What would our Essential Scholars say about the world today?
Unprecedented is a word that has been used repeatedly to describe all aspects of the last two years: global pandemic, centralized lockdowns, overwhelmed health care facilities, high inflation, revolutionized AI, war in Ukraine, etc. Governments often respond to remarkable moments in history by creating policies they feel would help address the situation. What insight can our Essential Scholars series offer the current situations and events? Relying on the ideas of one of our Essential Scholars, construct an essay that describes a scholar’s response, explanation, or rebuttal to a current event. You can use a scholar’s economic theory to examine unprecedented situations, propose potential policies that a scholar would have put forward, or suggest how certain existing policies would have been adapted by a particular Essential Scholar.
- What would Milton Friedman argue should be a government’s response to inflation?
- In a post-COVID world, what would Jane Jacobs say about the state of our cities?
- How does James Buchanan’s thoughts on public choice theory apply to the economic sanctions imposed on Russia following its invasion of Ukraine?
- How can Joseph Schumpeter’s concept of creative destruction help us understand the rise and fall of businesses?
- What would one of the Essential Scholars say about Canada’s current housing and rent situation?
Visit www.essentialscholars.org to read our Essential Scholars books online and watch the accompanying videos.
Submission Deadline: June 1, 2023
New Categories and Prizes:
2022 Essay Contest Winners
|1st Place ($1,500)|
|High School Category||Jack Millos,|
West Point Grey Academy
Memorial University of Newfoundland
|2nd Place ($1,000)|
|High School Category||Irene Berezin,|
Westmount High School
|3rd Place ($500)|
|High School Category||Lucas Orfanides,|
St. Augustine Catholic High School
University of British Columbia
Previous winners archive:
Contact Education Programs
For more information, email [email protected]